dNTP problem

Ned Mantei mantei at cell.biol.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 29 01:31:37 EST 2000

In article <39AB188F.608D3A57 at med.monash.edu.au>, Paul Cullen
<Paul.Cullen at med.monash.edu.au> wrote:

>Make sure you are not defrosting them in a water bath. dNTPs are quite
>sensitive to heat and should be stored at -20 C. Defrost on ice.

Although I generally agree that keeping reagents cold is a good idea,
dNTPs can't be as sensitive as all that. In the course of a PCR they
survive maybe an hour or more at 72 C and half an hour to an hour at 94
C.
Incidentally, I have heard the claim that MgCl2 doesn't redissolve
easily and needs to be warmed after thawing.

--
Ned Mantei
Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology