Question on use of PCR for diagnostic purposes

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 03:29:20 EST 2000

In article <DAA4CA726E727AE3.BB2E25B046576D9F.11E4F713A7B314AE at lp.airnew
s.net>, plantman <plantman at dasnr.okstate.edu> writes
>can  anyone address this question: is a license required to perform
>PCR for diagnostic purposes at a state-run (government) institution?
>we are interested in using PCR for diagnosis of plant diseases, but
>don't know if a license is required. we plan to charge  a small fee
>for the service, just enough to cover materials, etc.

Perkin Elmer have a web page that will advise on this and is published
regularly in Biotechniques, Nature etc. It will say contact the director
of licensing at PE. As you will be giving a reportable result and
charging for it, even just to cover costs, I cannot see you getting away
without a license. Normal licensed Taq pol has a license disclaimer with
it that basically bars you out from using the enzyme for anything but
research purposes. Talk to PE.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark