Question on use of PCR for diagnostic purposes

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at
Tue Aug 29 03:29:20 EST 2000

In article <DAA4CA726E727AE3.BB2E25B046576D9F.11E4F713A7B314AE at lp.airnew>, plantman <plantman at> writes
>can  anyone address this question: is a license required to perform
>PCR for diagnostic purposes at a state-run (government) institution?
>we are interested in using PCR for diagnosis of plant diseases, but
>don't know if a license is required. we plan to charge  a small fee
>for the service, just enough to cover materials, etc.

Perkin Elmer have a web page that will advise on this and is published
regularly in Biotechniques, Nature etc. It will say contact the director
of licensing at PE. As you will be giving a reportable result and
charging for it, even just to cover costs, I cannot see you getting away
without a license. Normal licensed Taq pol has a license disclaimer with
it that basically bars you out from using the enzyme for anything but
research purposes. Talk to PE.

The problem with being on the cutting edge is that you occasionally get 
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.
Tel: +44(0)1252376288
FAX: +44(0)8701640382

More information about the Methods mailing list