dNTP problem

Michael L. Sullivan mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:51:19 EST 2000

>Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>> premixed or mixed by me. Either I am doing something systematically
>> wrong when mixing , or there is something more subtle. At 200 $, I
>> cannot buy dNTPs every day. Has anyone found something similar?
>

>Sounds like you are doing the typical "nucleotide screw-up" calculation.
>If you mix the 100mM stocks from Promega in equal parts, what you get is
>not 100mM each but 25 mM each in the nucleotide stock. From that, if
>what you use is 0.2mM each dNTP in the reactions, this nucleotide stock
>solution is 125x for the final reaction mixture.
>
>But anyway, if this is indeed the case you have a suboptimal reaction as
>a 4-fold decrease in nucleotides means no amplification at all. It
>should not be so dramatic.

I think this is correct.  Some protocols in fact call for using on the
order of 50 uM dNTP, supposedly to reduce misincorporation.  I recently
compared 200 uM and 50 uM dNTP with Amplitaq LA, and although there was
clearly a reduction in product at 50 uM, I still got plenty of product.

Something I would check would be the pH of the dNTP stock using pH paper.
pH should be >7, I think. If the solution is acid, I think the dNTPs
disproparionate into dNDP and dNtetraP.

Mike

Michael L. Sullivan, Ph.D

U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center