dNTP problem

Ned Mantei mantei at cell.biol.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 30 03:23:28 EST 2000

In article <v04011701b5d17d87a5e1@[144.92.64.174]>,
mlsulliv at facstaff.wisc.edu ("Michael L. Sullivan") wrote:

>Something I would check would be the pH of the dNTP stock using pH paper.
>pH should be >7, I think. If the solution is acid, I think the dNTPs
>disproparionate into dNDP and dNtetraP.

If the pH is acid the purine nucleotides will depurinate (the adenine or
guanine moiety will part company with the ribose triphosphate part of
the dATP or dGTP).
According to what I read many years ago in the then Pabst Laboratories
catalog (a division of Pabst brewery--brewers have yeast, and yeast is a
source of ATP;later the company was called PL laboratories, and still
later Pharmacia(?)), disproportionation is only a problem in the *solid*
state. According to PL, solid nucleotide triphosphates should be kept at
-80 C, but the solutions are stable at -20 C. Makes me wonder about the
5-gm bottles of ATP that seem to be in a freezer in every laboratory.

--
Ned Mantei
Department of Cell Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology