Deoxyglucose and chaperone induction

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Wed Aug 30 14:59:23 EST 2000

I hypothesized that an effect on cells was caused by upregulation of ER
chaperones.  Deprivation of glucose and treatment with deoxyglucose (both
of which upregulate ER chaperones) caused the effect; but treatement with
DTT, which induces the chaperones to a similar extent, does not cause the
effect.

I see three possibilities:  (1)  I'm on the wrong track completely.
(2)  The glucose deprivation/deoxyglucose effect is direct (as, for
example, through an effect on glycosylation), rather than via chaperone
induction.
(3)  Glucose deprivation and unfolded proteins induce a slightly
different, though overlapping, responses.

I'm trying to sort out these possibilities, concentrating on (2) and (3),
but I'm having a hard time finding anything useful on the deoxyglucose;
while people have used it to induce the unfolded protein response, there
doesn't seem to have been anything showing how it works, and whether the

On the other hand, there's a lot of literature out there that includes the
various keywords, and I'm not kidding myself that I've exhausted it all.

Anyone familiar with this stuff?  Pointers appreciated.

Ian