Promega dNTPs quality is questionable

tfitzwater at gilead.com tfitzwater at gilead.com
Thu Aug 31 11:34:14 EST 2000

>From: Andrei Popescu (andreip at byte.cas.vanderbilt.edu)
>Date: Wed 30 Aug 2000 - 16:47:51 BST

>Thanks to everyone that answered !

>The problem with the dNTPs was finally solved. The NEW dNTPs that we
>bought from Promega were bad, at least one of them. The same reaction
>run in parallel with other dNTPs from other suppliers worked perfectly
>over and over again, in all tubes and in all concentrations from 0.1 to
>1 mM each, without too much difference in terms of product obtained.

>The bad Promega dNTPs costed me one month and a half of work, a couple
>of different primer pairs designed, reordered and tried, about 5 tubes
>of cheap and expensive polymerases squandered and, most of all, a lot of
>frustration. I was even on the point of scrapping the project. So you
>may want to think twice before buying dNTPs from Promega. We wrote them
>a letter, let's see if they bother to answer.

>Andrei Popescu, RA
>Molecular Biology Dept.
>Vanderbilt University

I recently participated in a beta test of Promega dNTPs, and compared old
and new dNTP preps with our standard dNTPs from Roche using an ABI 7700 for
quantitative determination of the PCR product yields.  Both sets of Promega
dNTPs performed well.  My results indicated that they were an acceptable
alternative source for dNTPs.

It is unfortunate that this was not the situation in your case.

Tim Fitzwater
Principal Research Associate
Gilead Sciences

---