RNA amplification

tfitzwater at gilead.com tfitzwater at gilead.com
Thu Aug 31 11:46:29 EST 2000

>From: Dr. Duncan Clark (Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk)
>Date: Wed 30 Aug 2000 - 09:24:00 BST

>Hi Folks,

>Are there any experienced users of RNA amplification methods that can
>tell me what the real differences are between 3SR and NASBA. I have some
>papers on both but am currently missing the originals. They both appear
>to be very very similar.

>Many thanks

>Duncan

NASBA (Nucleic Acid Sequence Based Amplification) was previously called 3SR
(Self Sustained Sequence Replication).
E. Fahy et al. Self-sustained sequence replication (3SR):  an isothermal
transcription-based amplification system alternative to PCR.  PCR Methods
Appl. 1991, 1:  25-33.
A-M. Vandamme et al. Detection of HIV-1 RNA in plasma and serum samples
using the NASBA amplification system compared to RNA-PCR.  J. Virol.
Methods 1995, 52:  121-132.

Tim Fitzwater
Principal Research Associate
Gilead Sciences