ABI 3100/3700 genetic analyzer: substitute NED dye with TAMRA?

Marcia Macdonald mmacdonald at xenongenetics.com
Fri Dec 1 14:05:48 EST 2000

Has anyone else tried to avoid buying NED-labeled oligos from ABI by substituting TAMRA-labeled oligos?  We just did a quick experiment on our 3100 and found that the TAMRA was detected as yellow peaks just like NED!  Like the other dyes, there was a small amount of leakage into the other colours when the PCR product was over-loaded, but nothing that will interfere significantly with pooling multiple markers  We still have to compare the same marker amplified with both TAMRA and NED dyes to see how their mobilities compare (i.e. if the alleles are labeled as the same size), but that shouldn't prevent us from ordering new markers in the TAMRA dye rather than the NED.  Just thought this might interest anyone genotyping or synthesizing labeled oligos.

Marcia

Marcia MacDonald
Xenon Genetics, Inc.
100-2386 East Mall