ABI 3100/3700 genetic analyzer: substitute NED dye with TAMRA?

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 05:42:44 EST 2000

In article <200012012214.eB1ME7G13049 at ns.qnis.net>, the eminent Deanne
Bell at BIOSCI/MRC Human Genome Mapping Project Resource Centre wrote
>think I remember them saying that the TAMRA had more bleeding over into
>other colors than the NED.  Either which way, I never got the yellow
>labeled primers to come off with any height on my electropherograms - be it
>NED or TAMRA.  I am working with plants and it may be that these primers
>just don't amplify much in plants (although ApBiosystems claims to  get
>amplification in plants with these primers).  I have a feeling it is more
>likely that the dye just doesn't emit as well as the other dyes such as
>JOE, FAM & ROX.

NED (and the equally new VIC) is supposed to be a brighter dye. Of
course being cynical one could take the view that the change to NED and
VIC is because they are the only two that are patented and therefore
proprietary. I don't know of any company other than PE/Applied
Biosystems (or whatever they are called this month) that will synthesise
oligos with those labels.

The alternative is to think about FRET oligos to boost the TAMRA or say
a TET signal.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark