[FUN] Dumbest lab experience?

Adam Greyguy3 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 18:54:47 EST 2000

In article <91aj7t$mtr$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Bonehammer <g5003408 at uts.univ.trieste.it> wrote:
>  Hiya.
> I know this is supposed to be a serious NG, but I just collected
enough
> funny stories to make a posting out of them.
> Electrophoresis experience # 1: we come to the lab and see this guy
> doing a silver stain, whining that he doesn't see any band. The yellow
> gasket was still around the glass plate. I still don't understand why
> he did not pull it off at least to do the silver staining. BTW he was
> using dextran blue as a dye for the loading buffer so that would have
> remained in the wells anyway and this was not a clue.
> Electrophoresis experience # 2: this is similar to the first. Another
> guy who had been in the lab for not a long time needed to load a large
> number of samples in the gel, but the larger "pouring cell" was busy.
> So he just takes the smaller one and turns it so that it would be
> perpendicular, not parallel to the tank, and makes a small device with
> some bulldog clips to hold still the comb while the gel sets. He was
> doing a neat job for a rookie and I wanted to congratulate with him. I
> go to the "electrophoresis den" and he's loading the samples, with the
> cell in the tank and the gel in the cell. The vertical walls of the
> cell would have prevented any current from circulating in the agarose.
> He was hilarious when I made him notice the thing.
> Centrifuge: have you ever thought what happens when you start a
Beckman
> centrifuge at 12000 rpm with the rotor screw cap loose? Now, thanks to
> a girl who luckily doesn't work here anymore, we know that. Looks like
> Thor had hammered the inside of the poor thing, and the lid of the
> centrifuge was barely holding its own.
> Reagents: another girl, probably the best brain we ever had in our
lab,
> came to us one day asking where do we stock "the 70% ethanol
solution".
> Sometimes even the good Homerus falls asleep, they say.
> Now, you'll say, and what about ME and my large mouth? Well, I never
> did anything memorable, but I'm feared for my habit of placing my
> samples in one block of the thermal cycler and starting the program on
> the other. Seems I can't help it...
> Any more contributions?

We had a woman who was new to the lab, and one day came around angrily
trying to find the person who stole her tubes from the centrifuge.  I
helped her look, and finally discovered that she had spun glass tubes
without the rubber adaptors.  They were still there all right, in a
very fine powder.

I had a teacher who once spun chloroform in a non-chloroform resistant
tube in the ultrafuge.  The whole ultrafuge ended up walking around the
room destroying things until it eventually unplugged itself.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/