[FUN] Dumbest lab experience?

Susanne Rohrer "srohrer(removethis)" at immv.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 18 12:10:49 EST 2000

One more. this one is almost off topic, because it occurred in our
undergraduate organic chem lab:
This guy was wondering about his infrared spectra not showing peaks from
top down, but from bottom up, and thought maybe it was because he had
inserted the cuvette the wrong way round?
Turns out he had measured chloroform as the sample and his substance as
the background, and most of all quite missed the theory of the whole
procedure.
Some time later that course someone sent him to get a bottle of vacuum
from the chemicals counter.
He almost did it.  Unfortunately (?) he never made it to a bio
lab...where we had one guy who insisted, even lost a bet for ice cream
to the assistant, that tritium is an alpha emitter.

what fun we are having here, and if anyone who is not in science read
this, he would be reassured how nerdy scientists are.

S.