[FUN] Dumbest lab experience?

Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Dec 18 14:35:21 EST 2000

Susanne's post reminds me to my first day ever in university lab,
undergrad course.

We had to set up a boiling water bath for something I forgot. There
were electric hot plates and suddenly there was a scream, a cloud of
smoke, a lightning and then, there was a power failure: Someone had
left the mains cable coiled around his plate while it got hot. Of
course the cable had not been heat resistant.

There is another memory from the same lab course (some month
later) that is not so funny; luckily there was no accident when I
was boiling some raw silicon (generated from sand and aluminium) with
concentrated HCl while someone else was melting some stuff with
pounds of potassium cyanide in the same fume hood. I knew this
only afterwards. Not to imagine what would have happened when
my beaker had gone broken for some reason. I probably wouldn't
be here writing this stuff. (People all around - this fun column
ratger is a real life text book on what may go wrong in a chem and
bio lab, so don't think, this is funny!!!)

Wolfgang
-----
This message is encrypted! Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----