The People's Seed Bank

David Kendra dkendra at mr.net
Wed Dec 20 07:51:15 EST 2000

"Brian Sandle" <bsandle at caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0012201431400.18054-100000 at shell.caverock.net.nz...
: On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, David Kendra wrote:
:
: >
: > "Brian Sandle" <bsandle at caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
: > news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0012121808080.16233-100000 at shell.caverock.net.nz...
: > : On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, David Kendra wrote:
: > :
: > : >
: > : > "Brian Sandle" <bsandle at caverock.net.nz> wrote in message
: > : > :  On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, David
: > : > : Kendra wrote:
: > : > :
: > : > : > I think folks do that in demo classes for the gun.  I used to do
it
: > for
: > : > : > demonstrations when we had folks tour our facility.  What do you
: > think
: > : > the
: > : > : > result was?
: > : > :
: > : > : that the genes themselves were a factor because as
: > : > : you wrote in reply to Tracy:
: > : > :
: > : > : >The level of somaclonal variation depends on the genetic
background
: > of
: > : > : the
: > : > : >line used in the transformation.  In maize some lines exhibit
strong
: > : > : >somaclonal variation while others do not.
: > : >
: > : > The genetic background influences the level of somaclonal variation,
not
: > the
: > : > gene being introduced by the biolistic transformation process.
: > :
: > : You are trying to say that the introduced gene has minimal effect on
the
: > : genetic background, but the process can change the compostion of the
plant
: > : considerably.
: > :
: > : Besides where is your evidence?
: >
: > Ant plant tissue culture book should provide the information that you
want.
: > It is a pretty old story already.
:
: I accept that any tissue culture book would give that genetic background
: affects amount of somaclonal variation.
:
: But you are claiming (i) that any and every tissue culture book deals also
: with transgenics.  (ii) that though transgening produces a major change in
: the protein structure of the plant it does not change the genetic
: structure enough to have any effect on the somaclonal variation of the
: tissue cultured plants. What percentage figure do you give for
: signifcance?
:
: How about a book title & page reference. If any one has it in, you must
: have one readily at hand. And I am interested to see whether it tells of
: genes wedged into varying places in the chromosome, and any effects of
: that.
:
: Dodo

Brian, Thanks for the nice ending to your comments.  You ask for specifics
which I was about to cite but after reading your slam at the end you are on
your own.  It is clear that you lack all common respect for anyone who
disagrees with you.  I wrote the one line reply during my lunch break while
scanning the newsgroups.  Sorry that you cant do you own homework.

dk

:
: >
: > :  :
: > : > : I do not believe that the strong promoters are under the normal
: > control of
: > : > : the plant.
: > : >
: > : > So you do not believe strong promoters can be silenced by a plants
gene
: > : > silencing system?
: > :
: > : Not easily, according to Mae-Wan Ho.
: > :
: > : [Reading to do].
: > :
: >