ER membrane Marker

Ian A. York iayork at
Wed Dec 20 11:18:02 EST 2000

In article <91pofu$4d26$1 at>,
Martin Offterdinger <martin.offterdinger at> wrote:
>I am looking for a marker protein for the ER membrane; it should be
>expressed at reasonably high levels in all human cells and an antibody for
>Westerns should be available. I thought about SRP receptor but I could not

Calnexin is a standard ER membrane marker; there are several antibodies
available that work well in westerns or IPs (try Affinity BioReagents or
StressGen), it's quite abundant, and it's easily detected.

Some of the other proteins that have been suggested (like BiP/GRP78) are
good ER markers, but are not transmembrane proteins; if it's actually
membranes you need to detect, they might not be ideal.

    Ian York   (iayork at  <>