[FUN] Dumbest lab experience?
Dr. Duncan Clark
Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 06:42:50 EST 2000
In article <91sp5b$t2d$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, the eminent at Deja.com wrote
>I was once boiling agarose in an Erlenmeyer bottle
>in a microwave oven. Problem was, I had put a glass stopper
>into the bottle... Obviously, the steam did not get
>out properly so the bottle exploded inside the microwave oven.
>Luckily, no one was in the room at the time. I heard about
>that one for a long time...
Did something very similar years ago. Microwaved 400ml LB agar in a
500ml Blue capped Duran bottle, with so I thought, the lid more than
loose enough to allow the pressure to escape. It was a 750W microwave on
full power. The bottle exploded, broke the door catches on the microwave
and showered glass across the room. Luckily no-one was in the firing
line. Can only assume the motion of the turntable plus expansion of the
hot lid/bottle sealed it up enough. Nasty at the time. Bought new
catches and the microwave functioned unscathed for many years after.
The problem with being on the cutting edge is that you occasionally get
sliced from time to time....
More information about the Methods