Fw: [FUN] Dumbest lab experience?

Deanne Bell dbell at qnis.net
Tue Dec 26 12:07:18 EST 2000

This reminds me of the first time someone in our lab tried to do
chemiluminescent westerns. We did not have a red light for the dark room so
all the exposures were performed in pitch dark. They removed the "film"
from the box, exposed it, developed it and then proceeded to "interpret"
it.  The second time they went into the dark room, a piece of film was
removed from the box and the guy said "uh-oh, this piece of film doesn't
feel like the last one".   They proceded with this film and got great
results.  It turned out that the first time they developed and
"interpreted" the cardboard insert used to protect the film in the box.

----------
> From: Matt Thomas <mthomas at hsc.usf.edu>
> To: methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: [FUN] Dumbest lab experience?
> Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 12:18 PM
>
> One time our new undergrad ask me to develop a film over the weekend for
> him.  When I opened up the film case he had put the carbord down instead
of
> film.  Being the nice guy that I am I put film down for him, but drew
bands
> on the cardboard and left it on his desk.  Took him a couple of minutes
> reliease what was going on and for a few minutes he was very happy with
his
> results until he noticed it wasn't film and the bands were blue felt tip.
>
> I also like the time when we told this same guy he had to have "salt" in
his
> DNA gels to get them to work and he would have to remake it with TAE
instead
> of Di water.  Instead he got out some NaCl and sprinkled it on the gel
and
> waited for it to go in.  watied a really long time......
>
> The thing that happend to me was started up the fuge and realizeing I
didn't
> screw on the lid to the rotor.  I hit the stop button so many times and
kept
> praying that I hadn't broken it.  Luckaly, it only got up to 200 rpm
before
> I figured out I messed up.  Seems minor compared to the other fuge
stories
> in this thread!
> --
> Matthew Thomas, Ph. D
> H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida
> mthomas at hsc.usf.edu
>
> "I refrain from publishing for fear that disputes and
> controversies may be raised against me by ignoramuses."
>    Sir Isaac Newton, correspondence to Liebniz

---