Request For Disscusion - final.rtf (0/1)

me java2k2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 18:49:34 EST 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:19:09 GMT, java2k2000 at yahoo.com (me) wrote:

>my contact information is as follows:
>kent lavallie (BSc Biology, University of Ottawa)
>email: ke8675309 at home.com
>snail mail address: 203-415 Gilmour Street
>                            Ottawa On Canada
>                            K2P-2M8
>phone: 613-567-2364
>
>I have outlined a protocol for the developement of cancer
>treatements...the
>protocol is outlined over the course of answering three take home
>final
>examination questions for an honours year course in biotechnology,
>taught at
>the university of Ottawa (Sept-Dec 2000). I have included the
>questions and
>answers as attatched files. The questions are in the file entitled
>"final.rtf", and the answers are in the file entitled "
>bruteForceSolutions.rtf". All the questions and answers must be read
>in
>order to develop an overall picture of the protocol. I will be
>rewritting
>the protocol over the next few weeks and I would like any feed back or
>comments. I believe that the protocol is effective...but that is just
>my
>opinion, for now.

these are the questions....

EXAMINATION FOR BIO 4174: BIOTECHNOLOGY

	The answers are due December 22, 2000 by  17:00. They must be
written or typed.

NOTES:

i. In the following questions, if you must make assumptions to
complete the question, you must state them. NO UNREASONABLE
ASSUMPTIONS WILL BE ALLOWED. You cannot invent new techniques nor
claim that "somebody gave us the clone".

ii. IF YOU PROPOSE A SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM, YOU MUST ALWAYS JUSTIFY
YOUR PROPOSAL AND PROVIDE A MEANS TO TEST WHETHER THE PROPOSAL WORKED.

iii. EACH question is worth 15 MARKS. After marking the mark will be
adjusted to a value out of 50 marks.

1. While traveling through the highlands of Borneo, you become aware
of a plant natural product (an alkaloid ) which alleviates pain and
may have therapeutic value. You isolate a large amount of this product
and investigate its mode of action. It appears that its affect is
specific to brain cells and is mediated by a receptor, probably a
surface glycoprotein. You have been given the task of isolating the
human gene. Devise a research plan outlining how would you do it?

2. A startling observation has just been published in a leading
research journal. Resistance to the chemical  DXX that is used to
control mosquitos is linked to lower transmission rates to the human
host of parasitic disease. You goal is to isolate the gene for
resistance, determine the possible mechanism for resistance and a
develop transgenic system to study the relationship between the level
of resistance and the level of transmission.

Here are some facts you may use to help you frame you answer:
-the parasite is not malaria
-the parasite replicates in the insect gut and is transmitted to
humans when the mosquito takes a blood meal.
-the mechanism of resistance is unknown.
-you can culture mosquito cells and transform mosquitos by injecting
DNA into the fertilized eggs.

4. You are the head of a research group in a company specializing in
contract research for CanBio, another biotechnology company. The
president of CanBio is interested in developing therapeutic products
in the area of prostate cancer, has $20,000,000 to spend and wants to
hire you. You propose that one possible target for drugs are
regulatory genes that have not been previously identified and could
therefore lead to novel therapies.  However, before you can design the
drugs you need to identify the targets i.e. regulatory genes or
proteins.

You discuss several possible approaches with your research group
decide on 2 that are promising. Briefly outline these approaches,
justify your choice, describe the technology and summarize the
expected results prior to receiving the first installment.

How would the information generated help you design new therapeutic
agents?