Taq patent

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Tue Feb 1 07:53:04 EST 2000

In article <87574i$cme$1 at agate.berkeley.edu>, lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
(Louis Hom) wrote:

> As for patents and progress, remember that the process for making MAbs
> didn't get patented.  Maybe monoclonals didn't revolutionize molecular
> biology the same way that PCR did, but I think they did lead to some great
> discoveries and some interesting derivative technologies.

<cough>  Maybe they didn't revolutionize *molecular* biology but they
sure had a HUGE impact on cell biology!!

And the story of why they weren't patented is a salutary lesson, too.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk