Taq Patent

Klishis, Michelle mfk4 at cdc.gov
Tue Feb 1 14:38:11 EST 2000

> > What will happen to the scientists (?) who cooked and
> > massaged their data for the Taq patent?
> > I mean scientifically, in addition to anything the
> > court will dish out accordingly.
> > Anything like this took place before?
>
> I wonder why the Nobel price winner in chemistry of 1993,
> Kary B. Mullis,
> is not implemented in the fraud, as he worked at Cetus in the
> same period,
> and published with them on the subject matter (Science 1988 Jan
> 29;239(4839):487-91 -Primer-directed enzymatic amplification
> of DNA with a
> thermostable DNA polymerase.) Anybody with worthwhile opinions?

I read (okay, speed read) the ruling, and he wasn't mentioned at all.
It may be that he wasn't involved in the purification of Taq for
commercial usage.  There seemed to be only a handful of people who were
mentioned, and those seemed to have either been working directly on the
Taq for patent or were advisors for the process.  I haven't read the
original filing, but my guess would be that if he wasn't involved in the
patent scam then there wasn't a legal need to mention him.