Building the $100 Thermocycler

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Feb 2 13:34:49 EST 2000

> However, I think at the very least a name change from 'OpenPCR'
> would be called for :-)

... we should ask Linus Thorvalds for itegrating the cycling
software into linux...

What about a 1000 MHz hyper pentium K9-XXL (or any
of these overcharge overload 6 dimensional-grafics cards) with a
peltier element cooler attached to the glowing microprocessor?
Peltier off means: heat the reaction
Peltier on means: cool the reaction.
Finally a reasonable application for those Gigaspeed home computers
(where the limiting factor sits before the screen)

Another option of course would be a software using CD-writers for
cycling: One just would insert the reactions into a modiefied
CD-writeable prepared for holding the eppies and then...
The laser beam would heat AND measure the reactions simultaneously.
Imagine a 32x speed CD-PCR! Even Roche would have be respectful for
such a device attacking their LightCycler.

That's all for today. Stay tuned!

Wolfgang

Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Pathobiochemistry Dept.
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----
*unsolicited mail is *NOT* appreciated, usual disclaimers apply
-----
Pressing ALT+F4 simultaneously enables you to read private messages
---