hairpins in PCR primers

Csaba Kiss csakis at ki.se
Wed Feb 2 04:46:53 EST 2000

Hi!
I think it is very much dependent on the length of the hairpin and the
sequence of it. When you talk about melting temperature, keep in mind that
it only tells you that half of your DNA is in ss form. Forming a hairpin is
much easier than reassociating two separate DNA strands. So be careful with
the melting temperature, it is only a rule of thumb, not a very accurate
number.

Csaba