DC-chol and TC-chol for transfections?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Feb 3 04:49:53 EST 2000

Hi all,
just came about two chemicals in Sigma's catalogue they claim to be
suitable for transfections. Has anybody used them and is able to give
me some hints about their usefulness and toxicity? I'm currently
evaluating reagents for myotube transfection and so I wonder if I
should include them in my experiments.

The chemicles are

1) DC-Chol (cholesteryl-3(beta)N-dimethyl aminoethyl)

2) TC-Chol (cholesteryl N-trimethyl aminoethyl)

probably better named N-dimethyl aminoethyl cholesterol and
N-trimethyl aminoethyl cholesterol.

My chemical belly tells me that they will act as
cationic lipids with a high transmembrane flipflop potential.

Beside the original papers from the people who invented this stuff,
I couldn't find any literature describing their use (I searched in
PubMed).

So I'd appreciate all your output, as usual.

All the best,

Wolfgang

Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Pathobiochemistry Dept.
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----
*unsolicited mail is *NOT* appreciated, usual disclaimers apply
-----
Pressing ALT+F4 simultaneously enables you to read private messages
---