Medium without phosphate

ChenHA hzhen at freeuk.com
Thu Feb 3 09:41:38 EST 2000

Rafael Maldonado wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a minimal medium for E. coli without phosphate (I guess
> buffered with citrate?). I used long time ago something called TG medium
> to induce alkaline phosphatase, but I cannot find reference nor recipe
> for that. Can anybody help me?

Pardon my ignorance, but can you really get a minimal medium without
phosphate?  I should imagine it is an essential component (where else would
the cells find the phosphate for its DNA, ATP etc.?).  There is the MOPS
buffer (Neidhardt et al, (74), Journal of Bacteriology 119(3), 736-747)
which works better than M9, but even that has a small amount of phosphate.