freezing protein

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:34:54 EST 2000

In article <3899A465.F47628EA at laplace.csb.yale.edu>, mb <
mb at laplace.csb.yale.edu> wrote:
>Can someone point me to a good reference on determining optimal
>freezing conditions for purified protein?  I am interested in
the use
>of various additives and buffer systems to avoid precipitation
and
>oxidation.  Neither Current Protocols in Protein Science or
Molecular
>Biology have anything on this.
>--
>Mark Bowen

When my wife was making unstable chemical derivatives of a pure
protein, she would freeze the protein in small droplets by
dripping it with a pipette directly into liquid nitrogen. The
would freeze instantly into little balls of about 20-50 ul each.
Then store them in vials under liquid nitrogen; when you need
some, shake out the number of balls you need and you don't need
refreeze any.

Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu