Fix DNA in agarose gels?

rashie athukorala rashie at bio.umass.edu
Sat Feb 5 10:07:49 EST 2000

I'm not sure of the instrument you plan on using, but with a Molecular
Dynamics Fluorimager 595 (no affiliation)scanning a 2% agarose gel stained
with Sybr Green I, it is not necessary to either fix or dry the gel.  As a
matter of fact, I've stained overnight (as opposed to the recommended 40
minutes) and seen no significant diffusion of bands.

At 06:37 AM 2/5/00 , you wrote:

>Tracy Jo Litzi schrieb:
>
> > You can dry the gel on a "gel dryer" like they use for certain protein
> > gels.  Thinner gels are best.
> >

>Bes, but dried agarose gels are turbid, I don't think you can do a laser
>scan with it afterwards.
>Bu.

---