Transfer of proteins and transfer buffer formulations...

Neal Robert Melvin nrmelvin at ucalgary.ca
Sun Feb 6 00:52:16 EST 2000

Can anyone recommend a transfer buffer composition that will more
efficiently transfer proteins between 120 and 180kDa?? I'm currently using
a transfer buffer that has 0.1% SDS and 20% methanol. I've tried using
more SDS to facilitate transfer, but when I stain my gel with Coomassie, I
still get the same higher molecular weight bands in the gel after
transfer... would altering the methanol concentration help??

"Everyone tells me I'm lucky,
I've got my whole life to live yet,
I can't say they're wrong,
but the days seem so long
Living inside of my head
Maybe I'll get some relief now,
Now that your things are all gone
I won't sit here staring at nothing all night
Bleary-eyed, greeting the dawn"

'Falling Down Blue'
BR

Neal Melvin
University of Calgary - Faculty of Medicine
Department of Neuroscience - Neuroscience Research Group (NRG)
Health Sciences Centre
3330 Hospital Drive, NW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T2N 4N1