'real-time PCR': which machine to buy??

bradley turner turner at sprcore.caregroup.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 7 11:03:50 EST 2000

Hello Guido,

I would be interested in the replies (or a summary of them) that
you receive.  I am also considering purchase of a "real-time"
thermal cycler for quantitative PCR.
I'm currently leaning towards the PE 5700 system since I will
also need it to do conventional PCR and I will need the
9600 for clinical assays.

Please forward replies  or summaries to me or the newsgroup.

Thank you,
Brad Turner

                    Bradley Turner
                Beth Israel Deaconess
                    Medical Center

Harvard Medical School          617-667-1215 phone
Division of Gastroenterology    617-667-2767 fax
Room Dana 536                   bsturner at biosun.harvard.edu
330 Brookline Avenue            bturner at caregroup.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02215                turner at sprcore.caregroup.harvard.edu

On 5 Feb 2000, Guido Hooiveld wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our lab is thinking of buying a real-time quantitative PCR machine. We
> therefore would like to know about experiences, pitfalls, (mal)functions,
> manufacturer's feed-back/support, and of course prices/availability of
> probes/enzymes. In other words, which system/machine do you (the experienced
> user) recommend? We will have to choose between the ABI Prism (PE
> Biosystems) or the LightCycler (Roche).
>
> Any input will be very appreciated.
> Please post here or send an e-mail directly to:
> g.j.e.j.hooiveld at farm.rug.nl
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Guido Hooiveld
> University of Groningen