'real-time PCR': which machine to buy??

The Lab Rat thelabrat at thelabrat.com
Mon Feb 7 14:31:28 EST 2000

Guido Hooiveld wrote in message <87hfci$igi$1 at info.service.rug.nl>...
>Hello,
>
>Our lab is thinking of buying a real-time quantitative PCR machine. We
>therefore would like to know about experiences, pitfalls, (mal)functions,
>manufacturer's feed-back/support, and of course prices/availability of
>probes/enzymes. In other words, which system/machine do you (the
experienced
>user) recommend? We will have to choose between the ABI Prism (PE
>Biosystems) or the LightCycler (Roche).
>
>Any input will be very appreciated.
>Please post here or send an e-mail directly to:
>g.j.e.j.hooiveld at farm.rug.nl
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Guido Hooiveld
>University of Groningen
>The Netherlands

Guido,

I would say it depends on what you are looking for in the instrument.

If you are doing screening by PCR using a lot of samples (hundreds a week)
then IMHO the 7700 is the way to go, esspecially with associated automated
prep equipment.

If you are using it as a research machine with limited sample # demands then
the light cycler is certainly more versitable IMHO.  The software allows you
to do much, much more than the relatively closed interface on the 7700 (look
at melting-temp profiles, etc).  The only "down-side" is the pain of loading
the cappilaries.  I have heard that they are working on automation for this
process (if anyone knows anything about this, then please post here).

JeffF

Jeff Fairman, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, Pharmacogenomics Research
Clingenix, Inc.
871 Industrial Road, Suite J
San Carlos, CA 94070
(650) 598-7645 (office)
(650) 598-7641 (fax)
jfairman at clingenix.com

visit:  http://www.thelabrat.com
Check out our science and sci-fi message boards