building the $100 thermocycler

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 05:55:21 EST 2000

In article <FB599DB5ACE2D211887500A0C9D334E44D877C at TBACRMEXH001>,
Weining, Song <WeininS at prose.dpi.qld.gov.au> writes
>However, "block" could be misleading. The tube holding block in Hybaid
>appears just a thin aluminium plate although I never take their machine
>apart to have a close look.

It was originally a copper like plate with individual bullet shaped
wells soldered (?) in and projecting under the flat plate, painted
black. Originally made by GeneSys Instruments Ltd. (no relation) and
sold initially by Cambio Ltd. before they licensed the technology to
Hybaid. Peter Dean at Cambio could tell you the history as I believe it
was his original idea and possibly a UK patent exists.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.