cDNA synthesis and linear amplification!

John Dixon jpcd100 at
Tue Feb 8 07:34:36 EST 2000

In article <KRa8hWAoZ+n4EAQ8 at>, Dr. Duncan Clark
<Duncan at> wrote:

> In article <389ef185 at>, Csaba Kiss <csakis at> writes
> >You could use Superscript from Lifetech. It lacks RnaseH activity. I works
> >at 55 degree.
> Just in case people are not aware of tradenames etc.
> Superscript is MMuLV RT but in various flavours.
> Superscript is an RNaseH minus derivative of MMuLV RT produced by
> deletion of the RNaseH domain.
> Superscript II is also an RNaseH minus derivative of MMuLV RT but
> produced by a point mutation in the RNaseH domain. The protein is
> therefore larger (i.e. same as wt MMuLV RT) than straight Superscript.
> Of course patents are involved (yet again!) with Life Technologies
> having them and challenged by Clontech. However before Xmas the US PTO
> ruled in favour of Clontech and said that the patent claims were
> unenforceable. Therefore you can now buy RNaseH minus MMuLV RT from
> umpteen sources.
> Duncan

Hi there, are the details of the point mutation published somewhere? We
get through a fair bit of this stuff and it would be nice to make some
home grown RT.

Cheers for any info or recommendation of cheaper suppliers than Life

John Dixon                    Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute        Fax 44 (1223) 334089
Cambridge University
United Kingdom CB2 1QR       e-m: jpcd100 at