BL21(DE3) and trc promoter

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 07:44:20 EST 2000

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0002081427230.4046-100000 at sun3.oulu.fi>, Petri
Kursula <pkursula at cc.oulu.fi> writes
>Confused by all these E.coli genotypes and strains, I would like to know
>if anyone has used BL21(DE3) cells to produce recombinant proteins from a
>vector with the trc promoter, such as pTrc99a. If yes, is this expression
>tightly regulatable by IPTG, or do you get leaky expression?

Probably leaky unless you have a copy of lacI on your vector in order to
make sure you really have enough repressor to switch the trc off.

If you really need tight control maybe an arabinose promoter expression
vector would be better (available from Invitrogen).

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.