ABR, JEM, and advertising

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri Feb 11 08:58:26 EST 2000

In article <87uti1$6eq$1 at news.panix.com>, Ian A. York <iayork at panix.com> wrote:

>unacceptable for an academic journal.  In the body of an article (not in
>banner ads or off to the side; actually in the article), the word
>"affinity" is highlighted.  It clicks through to the home page of Affinist
>BioReagents.  In other words, JEM has marked up the article, converting

Update:  I heard back from JEM, who assure me this was unintentional, due
to a "parsing error" which is being fixed as we speak.  (As I type, I
suppose, technically.)  They assure me they have no intention of doing
this deliberately.

That's a relief.  The timing--immediately after Remarq started doing the
same thing--perhaps made me a little quick on the trigger; I've thanked
JEM for their concern and integrity.  I'll also write to ABR, who are
probably entirely baffled by my earlier mail, since they didn't have
anything to do with the problem and probably didn't even know about it.

Ian