Autoclaving glycerol for e'competent cells and other ?s

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 11:01:34 EST 2000

In article <8816m6$dc$1 at wnnews.sci.kun.nl>, Rudi van de Wetering
<ReplyToButNoSpamR.vandewetering at czzorlnm.azn.nl> writes
>>Can someone explain what might happen to the glycerol during
>>autoclaving and/or what problems filter sterilizing is likely to cause?
>>Does it really cause problems?
>
>Don't know the answer to this one exept that its difficult to filter
>sterilize glycerol due to its viscosety. We do autoclave glycerol for making
>'normal' competent bacteria without problems.

I think (but only think) that the filtering was because of the worry
about residues on the filters, from manufacture, being inhibitory to
transformation. Maybe wetting agents or similar. Maybe the solution is
to filter some water first to rinse the filters then filter the glycerol
solution. 50% will filter albeit slowly.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.