ief gels: samples jumping lanes?

Phil Hardy philhardy at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:37:16 EST 2000

Will, the symptoms sound like you have minor spillage from one lane to the
next during gel loading.  I've not used a higher urea content in the
running buffer than in the gel, but for a while I had the same problem on
RNA urea gels.  If there is too much buffer/sample mixing during loading, a
volume of buffer/sample equal to the amount of sample you add spills out of
the top of the well and may sink into the next. This normally happens, but
if there is no sample in the runoff it is of no consequence.  A small
amount of protein leaking over won't be seen with coomassie, but will light
up in  a Western.
    This is how I fixed my problem, maybe you could adapt your protocol
using this info:
Prior to loading, I washed the wells out by squirting running buffer in
them (cleaned out unpolymerized acrylamide and gel bits).  Then waited
about 5-10 minutes before loading.  This allowed urea from the gel to leach
into the buffer in the well.  When I loaded the samples (slowly with gel
think the presence of the high urea conc stopped the sample from mixing
with the buffer.

good luck
phrom phil hardy