Primer Problem

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Sat Feb 12 08:05:44 EST 2000

Sounds like one of your components, most likely your polymerase, is
contaminated with stray DNA.  Taq polymerase, and probably others, is
produced from a cloned gene expressed in E. coli, and the initial prep
contains plasmid DNA.  If the vendor doesn't do a scrupulous job of
cleaning up the enzyme, some plasmid DNA is left.  If theyr'e really
sloppy there might be scraps of chromosomal DNA as well.  Try this:  Make
up three identical reactions and set one aside without cycling.  Add
template to one of the remaining two, then cycle these two and run all
three on a gel.  If the smear is absent in the unincubated sample and
appears in the absence of added template, there is an unwelcome template
in the mix.

Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.