Archiving of plasmid DNA

David M. Eisenmann eisenman at umbc.edu
Tue Feb 15 20:51:30 EST 2000

In article <38A08772.B4172084 at appleonline.net>, njf16154 at appleonline.net wrote:

> What is the general opinion on the best way to archive plasmid DNA for
> long term storage?
> I was thinking of lyophilising a couple of micrograms and then storing
> it at -20C. Does anyone have any evidence that this would not be the
> best way to go or any other suggestions.
> Thanks - Neil

My oldest archived DNAs are now 16 years old.  They were Cscl prepped,
resuspended in TE, generally at a concentration of 0.5 - 2.0 ug/ul, and always
stored at -20°.  The few I have pulled out recently cut just fine and
transform just
fine.  This is just my method, I don't know that it's the best.

dave

--
David M. Eisenmann
University of Maryland Baltimore County