E. coli XL1-Red cells

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Feb 20 16:14:38 EST 2000

I wonder how such a strain is able to survive. Are there other repair
mechanisms taking special care of genomic DNA or is it simply the
high division rate of E. coli that solves the problem i.e. only the
viable will survive and those with the "wrong" mutations are bound to
die meaning all you observe macroscopically is a slower growth?

Just curious.

Dr. Wo

> From:          wintermoon_00 at yahoo.com (winter moon)
> Subject:       E. coli XL1-Red cells
> Date:          20 Feb 2000 18:05:11 -0000
> To:            methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

> Hi everyone,
>
> I heard that Stratagene has the XL1-Red mutator strain
> to generate random mutations.  The strain lacks three
> of the primary DNA repair genes in E.coli, mutS, mutD,
> and mutT, and makes its mutation rate approximately
> 5,000-fold higher.  Does anybody have an experience
> with this strain?  I am wondering if this strain is as
> effective as other mutagenesis (chemical treatment,
> PCR, etc.).
>
> Thanks.
> http://im.yahoo.com
> ---
-----
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----