Gel drying pump

pathos pathos at freerealtime.com
Wed Feb 23 09:57:06 EST 2000

In article <586.1260883652.50707 at masala.cc.uh.edu>, benedik at uh.edu
(Michael Benedik) wrote:

> Does someone out there in netland have suggestions for a low cost pump
> for gel drying. Ours has died and I am looking to replace it but would
> rather not spend thousands for a new pump.
>
> We usually only dry one gel at a time, so low volume, and these are
> predominantly SDS-PAGE gels.

Michael
The pump can be rebuilt.  A kit for rebuilding the pump should be about
200-300 dollars.  It is rather simple for a mechanically inclined
individual.  If you are drying down gells that have been exposed to acetic
acid then you should put a trap with carbonate in line.  Acetic acid will
wreck the inside of your pump. Also ther are some companies that will sell
you a rebuilt pump for ~400 dollars with the exchange of your old pump.The
company that we found is called HP Equipment Company.  Also, you should be
very religous about changing the oil.

regards,

--
Peter Pediaditakis