Glycerol: v/v or w/v?

John Rebers jrebers at nmu.edu
Thu Feb 24 17:20:21 EST 2000

When making a solution of glycerol that is supposed to be 50% (for
example), is this to be interpreted as a volume/volume percentage (i.e. 50
ml of glycerol in 100 ml final volume) or a weight/volume pecentage (i.e.
50 g or glycerol in 100 ml final volume). I suppose it could also be
interpreted as a weight/weight solution.... Since glycerol is a liquid, I'd
always used the volume/volume interpretation, but just ran across someone
who was using weight/volume instead. Curious as to which was correct, or at
least more commonly used.

Thanks.
John E. Rebers
Department of Biology