sephadex problem

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Mon Feb 28 15:27:46 EST 2000

In article
<200002281823.TAA21224 at>
, Wolfgang.Schechinger at ("Wolfgang
Schechinger") wrote:
>hi all,
>in a protocol, one needs sephadex g25 fine. on my shelf there
is g25
>coarse. does this just mean big / small beads or is there a
>difference i should take notice of? the protocol uses sephadex
>separating a 80 kd protein from low mw impurities after a
>generally, a pointer to gel filtartion theory would be helpful
to me.
>thanks for all input!

"Fine" has a higher resolution than "coarse" which may not matter
if you are just desalting. Also, "coarse" has a higher flow rate.
A chromatography company -- was it Pharmacia? -- used to publish
nice booklet about the theory and practice of gel filtration.

Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis at

* Sent from RemarQ The Internet's Discussion Network *