Flag column

Gregory P. Adams, Ph.D. gp_adams at fccc.edu
Tue Feb 29 13:33:54 EST 2000

We have experienced similar problems to different extents depending upon the
protein we expressed.  In general, we have found that passing the flow through
through the column does aid in the isolation of more protein.  However, there
are a few quick issues to consider.  First, the lifespan of these columns in
not great (maybe 4-5 uses before a new rather expensive column is required).
So, if the protein is really important, a new column is suggested.  Second, I
believe that you may be right that the tag may be hidden (I think that this
happens to us sometimes even when expressing a single protein).  Have you
checked the flow through on a western blot (anti-Flag) to determine if the tag
is present on the protein that was not retained?  If you have specific antisera
to your protein you could also check to make sure that the flow through is
really  the protein that you are after.

Good Luck!

-Greg Adams