About fusion system to engineer soluble protein

ChenHA hachen at bun.com
Sun Jan 9 17:03:04 EST 2000

Jin Seon Im wrote:

> Hey, guys
> I want to express my recombinant protein in soluble form. As far as I
> know, there are two systems people are applying. Theoredoxin and GST
> fusion system. I found out Novagen offers both of them. What do you
> think which is better in terms of production of soluble protein? any
> comment will help me a lot

I think your premise is wrong.  There are many other fusion partners and
I think a recent review suggests that maltose binding protein (using
pMal) is best if solubility is a problem.   However, I think the protease
used for release protein from its fusion partner is expensive.  For
problematic protein it may often be more of a process of trial and
error.  GST and thioredoxin has been successfully used for many proteins
but  I think it's best for you to find a good review article if you want
to look at all possible alternatives.  It you don't expect any solubility
problem with your protein you can try the bog standard GST.