Nonidet P40 and Bradford

Henk Veldman H.Veldman at lab.azu.nl
Tue Jan 11 09:02:26 EST 2000

Belscotia schreef:

> Hi there
> I used to use NP-40 for solubilizing my protein extracts, but now use
> IGEPAL-CA 630 and everything still seems OK. I don't know about the
> Bradford assay but BIO-RAD do a protein determination kit which works
> well in the presence of many different detergents (according to bio-rad
> anyway!) I have used this kit in the presence of 0.5% NP-40 and 0.5%
> deoxycholate with good results.
> I am NOT employed/sponsered by BIO-RAD!
>
> bye

Bio-Rad sells two assays:
One is a Bradford variant. It is the more sensitive but is incompatible with
detergents, dyes or strong alkali.
The other (they call it DC assay) is a Lowry variant. It is compatible with most
detergents, but not with thiols (it can, however,  be made compatible with
thiols).
Hope this helps.

--

H. Veldman
Laboratory for Experimental Neurology (NMZ)
E-mail: H.Veldman at lab.azu.nl