Nonidet P40 and Bradford

Mark Solomon Mark.Solomon at Yale.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:01:44 EST 2000

Actually, NP-40 and Triton X-100 are kind of identical, but not quite.  As
part of their structures, each has a number of repeats of
polyoxyethyleneglycol.  NP-40 has 9 repeats, whereas Triton X-100 is a
mixture of compounds with 9 and with 10 repeats.

Mark Solomon
Yale University

In article <387F69CF.C727779D at ucdavis.edu>, Jim Kami <jakami at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

: I'm not in the area of detergent/surfactant development. I can only
: quote from the reference I cited. Came as a suprise to me when I looked
: this up some years ago.
:
: Jim
:
:
: "Dr. Fernando Rodriguez-Pascual" wrote:
:
: > Is it really true that Nonidet P40 and Triton X-100 are the same
: > compound?
: > I think it is wrong...
: >
: > Fernando
: >
: > Jim Kami wrote:
: > >
: > > Nonidet P40  =  IGEPAL-CA = Triton X-100 = Octoxynol - 9 (common
: > > spermatocide)
: > > They are all trade names for the same compound.
: > > ref.  Merck Index  ed. 10  #6601
: > >
: > > Jim Kami
: > > Blue Rose Biotech