replication of plasmids

Robert Whittier rfwhittier at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 02:51:57 EST 2000

Frank O. Fackelmayer wrote:

>>Plasmids transformed into recA+ strains naturally form dimers and trimers,
>>and I have a vague recollection of some paper in the late 70's that showed
>>you could isolate the monomer band or the dimer band. Transformed back
>>into a recA- strain, each would replicate faithfully in whichever form
>>(monomer or dimer) was used to transform. Transformed back into a recA+
>>strain, the same spectrum of monomer, dimer, trimer, etc. forms would
>>reappear.
>>

>could you try to dig out the reference? That sounds interesting and I would
>like to see the original data...
>
>Frank

Since PubMed doesn't include abstracts for papers going this far back,
I had to make a special trip from my home to the Tsukuba University
Medical School library to dig this up, but here you go, Frank.

Potter, H. and Dressler, D. (1977) On the mechanism of genetic
recombination: the maturation of recombination intermediates.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 74: 4168-4172.

It was really elegant work in view of the state of the art at that
time. Other workers followed it up to investigate various genetic
requirements. For example:

James, A.A., Morrison, P.T. and Kolodner, R. (1982) Genetic
recombination of bacterial plasmid DNA; analysis of the effect of
recombination-deficient mutation on plasmid recombination. J. Mol.
Biol. 160: 411-430.

Apologies to Susanne Rohrer for misspelling your name in my previous
posting. Apologies also to Robin Holliday for misspelling Holliday
junctions.

Bob Whittier