Rehydration of DNA

JCarson jeremy.carson at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Wed Jan 19 02:20:57 EST 2000

To clarify matters, we are eluting the DNA from glass fibre mats and
not from silica particles; we are also using BSA in the PCR. The
amount of DNA bound and eluted is in the region of 100fg. From what
little I have found on the topic, DNA does rehydrate after drying - I
was curious as to the nature of the physics/chemistry of the process,
particularly release of anhydrous DNA from glass/silica/diatomaceous
earth. From our observations we concluded that DNA if not properly
rehydrated will not  PCR. It would be nice to have some facts to
support (or disprove) the hypothesis.

Jeremy Carson
Dept Primary Industry
Tasmania, Australia