How to design scrambled oligos?

A.F. Simpson AFS7 at le.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 19:45:12 EST 2000

Colin Rasmussen wrote:

> Zhonglin Chai wrote:
>
> > Dear All, May I ask how you people usually design your scrambled oligos to
> > be used as antisense oligo controls?
>
> I roll die.  1 = G, 2 = A, 3 = T, 4 = C.  If I roll 5 or 6 I just roll
> again.  Once I've run out of a nucleotide, this also becomes roll again.

Or change the system to, eg.  1,2=G  3,4=A  5,6=T.

When you run out of another it becomes, eg.  1,2,3=G  4,5,6=A

This would cut down the number of re-rolls.

> There might be faster ways, but this is so much more fun.

I think it's cool :-)

I think I'll have to bring a six and a four-sided dice into work, just
in case I need to scramble an oligo in the future.

> Colin Rasmussen

love
Anna