Polaroid cameras and Zeiss microscopes

David L. Haviland dhavilan at imm2.imm.uth.tmc.edu
Wed Jan 19 12:16:50 EST 2000

energy102 at my-deja.com wrote:

> I have a tight budget and I could use advice to solve a problem.
> Cheaply.  I have a Zeiss microscope with a photoport.  Currently there's
> an old 35mm camera attached.  Is it possible to mount a polaroid camera
> instead?  Specifically the same polaroid camera used to photograph gels
> on UV/vis light box - since I already have one of these.

Hi:

You could mount a polaroid on there but I don't know what constraints
you may have as far as getting the camera mounted.  Then when it is
mounted, you'll have to figure out your exposure times with however many
sheets of polaroid film that may take.

If it were me, I'd go with B/W film, such as Ilford HP5+, or TMAX-400.
Processing and rolling your own film is about a cheap as you can get and
you print only the ones you want.  Within a few rolls, you will likely
be able to determine what setting of light and what shutter speed you
can use to get acceptable pictures - a far cheaper alternative to buring
sheets of polaroid film.

Hope this helps,
David
David L. Haviland, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. Immunology
University of Texas - Houston, H.S.C.
Institute of Molecular Medicine, R907
2121 W. Holcombe Blvd.,  Houston, TX  77030
713.500.2413-Voice//713.500.2424-FAX
If everything seems to be going so well, you have obviously
overlooked something.