Why are my electrocompetent bugs lysing?

Rebecca Ormsby Rebecca.Ormsby at flinders.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 02:23:56 EST 2000

Help! I have been making electrocompetent bacteria for years and for some
reason my bugs are lysing after the first wash. By the second wash there are
very few cells left. I have tried both XLI-BLUE and TOP10, different media,
very cold water, not quite so cold water, faster wash times and more gentle
washing with no success. What am I doing wrong?

Rebecca

Rebecca Ormsby.
Dept. Microbiology & Infectious Diseases,
Flinders University of South Australia
Bedford Park, S.A. 5042

phone: (+61) (8) 8204 5252       ___o
                                                      _ \    <_