Transfection/ Herpes simplex viral protein vp22 question

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Jan 20 11:48:52 EST 2000

Hi all,

I noticed Invitrogen to offer a vector containing the VP22 protein as
label for secretion and subsequent nuclear localization of VP22
fusion proteins.
For those not familiar with the system: It's said to work like this:
1) transfect your VP22-fusion vector into easily maintainable cells
e.g. 293 fibroblasts
2) lyse 293 cells, add the lysate to those cells you want the protein
to be incorporated, e.g. myotubes)

However, I would like my protein to be directed into the cytoplasm of
my target cells, not into the nucleus.

Is anyone aware of the structure/domain - function relationship of
VP22 or knows another method of targetting proteins into the cytosol
of non transfectable cells?

Thanks for all input!

Wolfgang

Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Pathobiochemistry Dept.
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----
*unsolicited mail is *NOT* appreciated, usual disclaimers apply
-----
---